This is my attempt at doing something practical for a change; Puyo Puyo Tsuu Remix is an amazing puzzle game, but for such a simple and familiar concept the menus don't make it very easy for a first-timer to find the mode they actually want to play. I'm hoping this little visual guide will make Puyo-ing on this excellent Super Famicom game a bit more enjoyable for non-Japanese readers.
1) Easy Puyo Puyo
2) Normal Puyo Puyo
3) Tsuu Mode - face all 33 opponents!
Everyone Puyo Puyo rule settings are in exactly the same order as these.
1) Normal rules
2) Point Puyo - Clear "garbage" Puyos are replaced with point Puyos
3) Kata Puyo - Clear "garbage" Puyos are replaced with solid Puyos
4) Need to link 6 Puyos before they’ll disappear
5) Need to link 2 Puyos before they’ll disappear
6) Edit rules
2) Example - Shows various chaining examples.
There! That should generally get you where you need to be; I hope this was useful to someone!